Thursday, January 9, 2014

tested by extremes

We have had exceptionally cold weather this week...down nearly to single digit temperatures. We discovered water in our basement and determined that a condensate line that leads water from our furnace had a kink and froze, causing a back-up into the basement. Fortunately there was no damage. These extreme temperatures have tested systems that have worked fine in past winters. Extreme cold tests our bodies, our cars, our homes. We are tested by extremes. I have been reading the story of David in 1 Samuel. He had been anointed as the next king of Israel, but the first king was still in place. Saul knows that he is going to be removed from the throne and that David will replace him, but rather than yield to this he is chasing David relentlessly. David is tested by this extreme attempt on his life. As a result his dependence on God becomes absolute and he finds that God is able to protect him, just as God was able to deliver Goliath in their epic confrontation. As a church the Williamsburg Community Chapel has been tested by extremes, as well, over the past year. Our senior pastor of over 20 years resigned and many have had questions. People don't often ask to be placed at the extremes. But when extremes come into our experience they may help us turn to the only One who is greater. The positive result can become the discovery that when we reach our limits, we have only begun to touch His outstretched arm.
-
Psalm 18:4 The ropes of death entangled me;
floods of destruction swept over me.
5 The grave wrapped its ropes around me;
death laid a trap in my path.
6 But in my distress I cried out to the Lord;
yes, I prayed to my God for help.
He heard me from his sanctuary;
my cry to him reached his ears.
-
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment