Tuesday, March 25, 2014

start with the end in mind

I have recently started preparing to build a deck behind my house.  Building things doesn't come easily to me.  Projects like this seem overwhelming and I have to break them down into little steps.  I have been reading some articles and watching some You Tube videos to get ready.  But you have to start with the end in mind.  The end of the project will hopefully be a deck that is satisfying and useful and we have pretty much finalized that picture.  But to start the project we need to lay a foundation that won't be seen at all.  One of the most important aspects of the deck is that, once it is built, it cannot move.  It must remain in place, not only when we are walking around on it...but also when snows fall, winds blow and branches may even come from trees to strike it.  The first thing we need to do in the construction process is establish the concrete footers below the surface of the ground that will support the posts, that will support the beams, that will support the decking, that will hold the people.  Similarly, in our lives, it is important to establish the unseen foundation of faith in Christ, and His work on our behalf.  Until we have fixed our trust in Him, we cannot build the rest of the "deck" of our lives without fear of shifting or collapsing.  Through the grace of God, I am certain that one day I will be directly in His presence, in Heaven.  That is the foundation of my life.  I hope that you have the same sure and solid, though unseen, foundation in yours!
-
1 John 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue tobelieve in the name of the Son of God.
-
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment