Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Fw: finding the way


----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Rob Smith <toanosmith@yahoo.com>
To: Rob Smith <rsmith@mycwa.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 7:34 AM
Subject: finding the way

 I really like using GPS when I'm traveling.  I just enter the destination...my phone already knows where I am...and the system almost instantly computes the best route to take and how long the trip should take.  It even shows accidents and slowdowns that lie along the path.  As I follow the directions, the system prepares me for the next turn and ensures I know how to make the course changes.  If I get off track, or make a detour for food or gasoline, it helps me get back on track.  One of the things Jesus was communicating to His disciples during the final supper before His crucifixion was that He was going away but that He wasn't going to leave them permanently.  He told them (John 14:4 "And you know the way to where I am going.").  As the disciples tried to program this into their GPS systems they came up short.  They didn't really understand where He was going at all.  Here's what one disciple said (John 14:5) Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going.  How can we know the way?"  With our smart phones we have to start with the destination for the system to compute the best route.  But with Jesus the destination and the route are really wrapped up together.  We don't have to find Heaven using GPS, or by studying maps, or by trying to live a certain way...that we think will get us there.  Jesus is like the sure guide on a tour.  If we are with the guide, we will find our way...we just need to ride with Him.  Jesus put it this way (John 14:6), "I am the way, and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me." 
-
Once we have been found, we are never lost again!
-
blessings,
Rob Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment