Monday, April 4, 2016

Fw: more useful with age




----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Rob Smith <toanosmith@yahoo.com>
To: Rob Smith <rsmith@mycwa.com>
Sent: Monday, April 4, 2016 7:19 AM
Subject: more useful with age

Some things seem to get more useful with age.  Last week I bought a really old pickup truck.  This truck is older than my youngest adult child...was new when I was half my age.  It originally was blue and somewhere along the way it took on a new coat of green.  It has a little rust and a lot of rattles and has been customized with some dings and scrapes that life has dished out to it.  But the engine runs well and it has a big bed and is still ready for weekend chores and projects.  In some ways it is more useful now than when it was new.  It has all of the practical utility of a new truck with the added benefit that any scratches I might add will just blend in with the ones already there. 
-
I thought about us...as we take on some age.  Our appearance begins to reflect a few nicks and scratches.  Our coloring tends to change...we may lose some things (like hair) and gain some things (like pounds) but life's scratches and scrapes have taught us a few lessons as well.  In many ways we, like the old pickup truck, are much more useful with age too.  In my truck there is no radio...instead of "Bluetooth" it has "long in the tooth" or "missing tooth", but it likes to talk to me as I drive along.  I think it enjoys my company.  As you travel into the older years you may find that your body talks to you to with some new creaks and groans...but aren't you grateful for the experiences of life that have proven God's faithfulness and have actually made you even more useful!
-
Psalm 71:18
So even to old age and gray hairs,
    O God, do not forsake me,
until I proclaim your might to another generation,
    your power to all those to come.
-
blessings,
Rob Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment