Friday, July 20, 2018

Fw: the test of time

One of the greatest ironies of life is that those who measure success in material ways lose all when their material body dies.  Those who measure success in spiritual ways do not fully realize success until their material body dies.  The psalmist speaks to this in Psalm 73.  Consider the following verses:
-
Psalm 73:

For I was envious of the arrogant

    when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
For they have no pangs until death;
    their bodies are fat and sleek.


They scoff and speak with malice;
    loftily they threaten oppression.
They set their mouths against the heavens,
    and their tongue struts through the earth.
11 
And they say, "How can God know?
    Is there knowledge in the Most High?"
12 Behold, these are the wicked;

    always at ease, they increase in riches.   

Note also the progression: greed --> arrogance --> malice, oppression, threats --> outspokenness against God.  The one who makes this world the ultimate prize ends up living a life of anger, pride, abuse, rebellion and ultimate separation from the one who gave them the opportunity to choose how they would spend their life.
-
It all will end suddenly for those with a material world view:
Psalm 73:18 Truly you set them in slippery places;
    you make them fall to ruin.
19 How they are destroyed in a moment,
    swept away utterly by terrors!
18 Truly you set them in slippery places;
    you make them fall to ruin.
19 How they are destroyed in a moment,
    swept away utterly by terrors!
-
The psalmist finds his answer by turning from the arrogant materialists....
Psalm 73:23 Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
    you hold my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
    and afterward you will receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
-
We need to live for the life that only begins here and continues with the author of life beyond death's horizon!
-
blessings,
Rob Smith
-


-------------------------------------------
"Death is inevitable.  Life is a choice!"

John 11:25
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live."


No comments:

Post a Comment