Thursday, August 23, 2007

what a friend

 
"I could probably get a job and stay here, but I'm not willing to part with my mule," Maday said. "He's my best friend and I'm not getting rid of him for nothing."
 
I read a story recently about a fellow out west who was desperate to find work but had no drivers license, due to driving violations.  He set out with two mules and rode for days.  One of the mules died but he continued on the remaining animal until he reached a town in Wyoming.  Unfortunately he'd become so attached to the mule that when he had to choose between taking a job in the city and saying goodbye to the mule, he decided to stick with the mule.  I guess he had to ride on to a more rural area where he could work and hang on to the animal.  Some part of me was touched as I thought about how this simple animal had faithfully labored to carry his owner for days.  Perhaps when no person was in his life to show him love, a mule met his need to be faithful, trust his leading and do what was required.  Somehow this example of love created a bond that was more important than the work the man set out to find.  I don't think we can overvalue the importance of unconditional love as one of our greatest needs, even if it comes from a mule!
 
John 15:12-13 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment