Tuesday, April 7, 2009

inspired appetites

It occurred to me that certain experiences invariably prompt specific appetites.  Entering a movie theater I immediately crave popcorn.  Walking to my seat at a pro baseball game the words "hot dog" begin flashing like neon in my mind.  Strolling into a state fair I have a sudden and inexplicable desire for pink cotton candy.  If I go to a circus I'm looking for Cracker Jack at the first opportunity.  I wonder what it is that causes these foods to be triggered by these specific surroundings?  It must be that there has been a close association.  I would typically enjoy these particular treats in these venues.  But when I come to worship the Lord in church I have this compelling hunger for the meat and the drink that only He can provide.  Truth, wrapped in holy music and served with God's inspired Word, is the food I crave.  The only satisfactory meal to reflect this is the simple bread and wine of the supper we have in common with the first disciples.  This week we remember why we long for this food.  It was because of the great cost of the ingredients!
 
Luke 22:19 And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me."
20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you."
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment