Tuesday, February 8, 2011

cut loose

Freedom and bondage are two of the themes that run through our lives.  Interestingly, the apostle Paul preached freedom while in bondage.  (Ephesians 6: "that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.")  Last night I was watching a concert by Bruce Springsteen on TV.  I had never listened to him for more than one song but his performance was full of passion, conviction and energy.  At one point he almost preached about the way to freedom.  The capacity crowd was completely engaged and participating in every drum driven song.  Springsteen seemed drenched in sweat the entire performance.  His energy and total commitment to the music and the crowd was electric.  A lot of the songs seemed to speak about freedom in our modern world.  But the lasting thought I carried away was that if anyone has the right to really "cut loose" and passionately sing of freedom it is you and it is I, who have been cut loose by the hand of God.  One of the marks of Springsteen's driving songs is his style of completely selling out with all his heart and energy.  I don't know what his personal life philosophy is but I do know that we, who have put our trust in Christ, have been set free to give everything we are and everything we have...in Springsteen-like passion...to the pursuit and service of the God who lives!  We have been cut loose so we can cut loose for Him!
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment