Wednesday, October 26, 2011

food for thought

"That's food for thought!"  This is a common expression for an interesting idea that may strike you as new and challenging.  I think it is interesting to consider the source of thoughts.  Sometimes we intentionally direct our minds toward tasks and challenges to solve problems, understand issues and formulate solutions.  Sometimes we "feed" our thoughts with the thoughts of others, as when we read or watch TV or scan the internet.   Sometimes we are "in neutral" and thoughts just seem to take us down meandering paths, like casual conversation with a friend.  Whether we are focusing our minds intentionally, feeding our minds, or leaving our minds in neutral it is fascinating to think about how our thoughts mix with our personality and how thoughts lead to action.  Perhaps most interesting is how our relationship with God is represented in our thoughts.  I think it is safe to say that most of our personal walk with God plays out in this "thought realm".  In that respect it is useful to think about how we are feeding our minds, what we are thinking about when we "are in neutral" and what issues we are involved in and what our attitudes are toward those issues.  

Here are a few verses about our thoughts and God's thoughts:

Psalm 40:17 But I am poor and needy;
         Yet the LORD thinks upon me. 
         You are my help and my deliverer; 
         Do not delay, O my God.

Psalm 119:59 I thought about my ways,
         And turned my feet to Your testimonies.

Psalm 139:2 You know my sitting down and my rising up;
         You understand my thought afar off.

Job 35:2 "Do you think this is right?
      Do you say, 'My righteousness is more than God's'?

Psalm 94:11 The LORD knows the thoughts of man,
         That they are futile.

Food for thought!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment