Wednesday, March 14, 2007

familiar roads

John Denver and James Taylor both wrote songs about country roads.  Part of Denver's lyric was: "Country roads, take me home
To the place, I belong....West Virginia, mountain momma Take me home, country roads"
    James Taylor had a similar message 
"I guess my feet know where they want me to go...Walking on a country road."  I really identify with those songs because the sense of peace on a country road is something special.  If the particular road is also a familiar one you can have a warm combination of memories with the peaceful setting.  I guess all of us travel down familiar roads on a daily basis...most of us call it commuting, and it's not necessarily a peaceful experience.  But as pleasant as those nostalgic country roads can be, I think we're called to forge new roads sometimes and break out of the familiar.  The comfortable path can become a rut and the familiar road can numb us to the adventure we're called to.  Instead of just letting the roads lead us home, we need to let the Lord help us to build new roads because there are many in this world (and in our community) who haven't had anyone walk down their path yet with the simple message that Jesus had His eye on them from up on the cross, years ago.  He wants to walk beside them, too, on their road.
 
Nehemiah 9:12
      Moreover You led them by day with a cloudy pillar,
      And by night with a pillar of fire,
      To give them light on the road
      Which they should travel. 
blessings,
 
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment