Friday, March 9, 2007

total trust

Do you remember the first time you walked out a diving board and faced the challenge of diving into the water?  I remember watching other kids dive for a while before I got the courage to try.  They seemed to be having a lot of fun.  I was afraid of it for a while because I didn't know what it would feel like to hit the water and I was also concerned about looking silly (bad technique) or doing something dumb like slipping off the board sideways.  I also realized that for a few seconds I would be the center of attention around the pool, because when you're on the diving board you're very conspicuous.  At some point, however, my sense of adventure outweighed my fears and I gave it a try.  To my amazement, no one said a word about my first dive....and it was really fun.  The second dive quickly followed, as I scurried around to get in line again.  I think our walk of faith is like this.  We may watch others trusting in the Lord for various aspects of their lives (salvation, health, jobs, family needs, life purpose) but we may hold back from walking out on the board, ourselves.  We don't know what it will feel like to let God catch us.  Over time we may see that others who have trusted in Him are finding that He will hold them up and they even seem to be enjoying their lives.  We may feel that stepping out in faith will make us conspicuous, different from others who are just lounging around the pool and, I guess that's true.   I think the Lord wants others to see that when we dive into the Lord's arms He will not only bring us back to the surface, He'll bless the experience!  (Let's get back in line for another dive!)
 
Proverbs 3:5,6  Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him,
      And He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 71:5  For You are my hope, O Lord GOD;  You are my trust from my youth.
 
blessings,
 
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment