Saturday, March 17, 2007

Going batty

I just have to tell you'all about the amazing things I learned about bats this morning.  I turned on the TV and there was a nature program on bats, living in a particular cave in Texas.  Would you believe 20 million bats live in this cave!  That's about 200 adult bats per square foot, hanging upside down.  The female bats give birth to their "pups" as they hang there from the roof of the cave and the poor baby bats have to hang on or they fall to the cave floor and become food for other cave dwellers.  At dusk millions of bats swarm out into the sky tracking down insects with sonar signals.  When the mother bats return to the cave they have no problem locating their particular pups among the millions there and the babies recognize the unique call of their mothers.  Just as the bats rely on high pitched sounds to track their prey, they also call out to their offspring the same way.  I cannot get over the fact that mother and baby are able to find each other.  It reminded me of Jesus as the good shepherd from John 10: 27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."  Just as those bats all look the same to me, I tend to think of people as a great mob, sometimes.  But Jesus sees us individually and we, who have come to know HIm, hear His voice and recognize His call....no wonder we want to follow Him!
 
blessings to all,
 
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment