Thursday, December 10, 2009

two questions

"Where are you from?" and "Where are you going?"
 
These were two questions that when Jesus was talking to the Jews and the Pharisees.  They tried to discredit Jesus by saying that He couldn't be the Messiah because when the Messiah was to come no one would know where He was from.
 
 John 7:27"But we know where this man is from; when the Christ comes, no one will know where he is from." 
 
But Jesus explained that they may have known His earthly home but they didn't know that He actually had been sent from Heaven.
 
28Then Jesus, still teaching in the temple courts, cried out, "Yes, you know me, and you know where I am from. I am not here on my own, but he who sent me is true. You do not know him, 29but I know him because I am from him and he sent me." 
 
Perhaps more interestingly, Jesus turned the tables and challenged them to know where they would eventually go.   
 
33Jesus said, "I am with you for only a short time, and then I go to the one who sent me. 34You will look for me, but you will not find me; and where I am, you cannot come."
 
It occurs to me that we start out with very little understanding of where we've come from and where we're going.  We had nothing to do with the origin of our own lives and we know little of what happens after this life ends....apart from the One who designed life, itself, and who can be trusted to lead us safely when our time on earth is done.  Truly we need to trust the one who has been from the beginning and who has no end.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment