Friday, September 30, 2011

the case for weakness

I know...strength triumphs over weakness.  "To the victor go the spoils".  "Winning isn't everything...it's the only thing." Now that we are into football season and baseball playoffs are starting we are more fixated on winning than ever.  In fact I have been running low on spiritual energy because too much of my energy has been spent watching teams grapple for victory.  But the reality of it is that we don't always win and for every winner there is probably one or more losers.  Much of our experience is below the average when it comes to physical health, relationship success and even our personal moral conduct.  What hope is there for our weakness, our failings, our below par days and ways?

I think this is where the Lord really shows up big-time in our lives!  When we are on the downside there is more upside for Him to find openings in our hearts and minds and to gain access and influence in our personality.  The apostle Paul talked about this.  He had been through multiple stonings and beatings and threats and yet he could say from experience:  "And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.'

When we are low...feeling below...He would have us know that He is near and that He is the strength we need to succeed.  Our down times are prime times for His upside.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment