Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Promised Land

We are beginning a study in the book of Joshua, the Old Testament account of the Hebrew people crossing the Jordan and claiming the Promised Land. I have listened to the first dozen or so chapters as I have exercised the past few days. I have been struck with the amount of fighting and destroying that the Hebrew people have been doing even after entering the Promised Land. If the Promised Land is a picture of the 'abundant life' we have in Christ I considered what the fighting could picture in our experience as believers in Christ. Perhaps we must be honest to acknowledge that there are problems, sins, weaknesses of the worldly nature that Jesus, our modern day Joshua, must deliver us from as we claim the land of His promise. Just as the Lord wouldn't tolerate any foreign culture or foreign idols, so He wants to cleanse us of the distractions and deceptions that keep us from Him alone. Joshua may also picture how, in the fulness of time, Jesus will vanquish every foe that has corrupted the Creation. But, for now, I see a reminder that we are called to battle (in the strength and with the courage of God) to defeat every force that would pull us from complete obedience and complete peace in the One who made us and now has delivered us.
---------------------------
Joshua 1:5 No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.
-----------------------------
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment