Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Fw: the healthy slavery

Romans 6:16,19 Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?.....For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.
-
Slavery is universally despised...and rightfully so.  There is nothing right about taking all personal freedom away and controlling another human life.  We have our own sad history of slavery in 'The Land of the Free..."
-
But, when it comes to the concept of absolute control and total obligation and obedience we are actually never in a better place than when we are 'slaves' of righteousness.  I suppose that the picture of slavery communicates the 'all-in' aspect of Christianity that says, "Lord, you gave all for me and I am all for you.  I will come humbly before you and listen for your instruction.  I will go with you as I walk through each day.  I will keep coming back to you in all my need and in all my failings and with all my success...to seek you, to honor you, to serve you, to lift you up....to work out this life of gratitude...as I prepare to one day come directly into your presence."
-
I suppose there is a healthy slavery after all.
-
blessings!
Rob Smith

-------------------------------------------
"Death is inevitable.  Life is a choice!"

John 11:25
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live."


No comments:

Post a Comment