Friday, July 13, 2007

Less is more

The other day a fellow I didn't recognize approached me and greeted me by name while I was doing physical therapy.  I was just a little startled that this stranger would know me.  He then explained who he was and I remembered him, but his appearance was radically different than the last time I'd seen him, perhaps 6 or 7 years ago.  He had been severely overweight and taken serious action.  A gastric bypass operation had ultimately reduced his weight by about 1/3, from 300 to 200 pounds.  His face was much narrower and more sharply defined than I recalled.   As we talked about our children and life activities I recognized the same personality I'd known in the past...but I never would have recognized him unless he'd approached me.  Sometimes less is more and in his case there is more energy and endurance.  He has the same job that he did in the past and it is a demanding physical job that calls for him to carry quite a bit of weight and be on his feet all day.  Imagine how much better he must feel to take on that routine with 100 fewer pounds of body weight to support!  The thought today has to do with our outlook on the things of this world.  We can easily embrace the cultural current of "desire and acquire" to add to our material possessions.  In a sense we can be like a hot air balloon that just barely hovers above the ground.  If we throw out some of the bags of stone and dirt our balloon will rise.  If we can reduce our grip on this life, we can be freed to seen things from a higher or better perspective.  Sometimes I think we need a "spiritual bypass" to reduce our appetite for the material, that we might grow in the Lord!!
 
John 3:30-31 He must increase, but I must decrease. He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment