Friday, September 7, 2007

caskets for rent

 

An Ad I saw today:

Families are increasingly requesting to rent a casket. To facilitate this request we offer a casket designed to allow for this service. The casket is a specially crafted unit that facilitates an inner simple container to hold the body. The casket itself acts as a "shell" around this container making it suitable for public visitation and viewing.


 


It turns out that money-saving creativity has reached the funeral and burial process.  Today I heard that you can actually rent a casket.  When I first heard that you could rent a casket I wondered who was going to collect the casket when the lease was up.  But then I got a clearer picture.  A heavy, high quality casket is used for the funeral and then the occupant is transferred to a more modest final domicile for subterranean living.  These rental caskets are a bargain and cut the cost in half.  Increasingly people appreciate the environmental benefits of reusable caskets.  It made me think a little of what we called "hot bunking" in the navy.  They didn't build submarines with enough beds for everybody because, at any given time, some of the crewmembers were standing watch.  So beds (or racks) were kept warm as men took turns using them.  Actually I think casket rental makes a lot of sense.  A  high degree of quality is added to the viewing and funeral for those who are living and a focus on practicality is enhanced for the departed.  After all, the real person has already left.  Hopefully they've flown off to their heavenly home, never more to fret about whether to splurge or to be frugal.  (And never more to stress over recycling).

Psalm 73:25-28 You're all I want in heaven!
      You're all I want on earth!
   When my skin sags and my bones get brittle,
      God is rock-firm and faithful.
   Look! Those who left you are falling apart!
      Deserters, they'll never be heard from again.
   But I'm in the very presence of God
      oh, how refreshing it is!
   I've made Lord God my home.
      God, I'm telling the world what you do!

blessings,

Rob Smith

http://2daysthought.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment