Monday, August 5, 2013

God pleaser

Hebrews 11:And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.

I have been guilty in my life of being a "people pleaser".  I have wanted to be well thought of and do those things that I thought would put me in good standing with others.  This was true especially when I was growing up...with family, friends, and teachers.  I don't think it's entirely a bad thing...this kind of attitude tends to lead to working hard and doing most of the right things.  Unfortunately the focus is a bit off.  Being a people pleaser has its center at the self...wanting to please others to gain favor...finding the greatest satisfaction from what others think of you.  I think we are learning from Hebrews that a better focus is to be a "God pleaser".   It's not that we shouldn't seek to please...or to be satisfied.  But there is only One who truly knows what is pleasing and what will bring lasting satisfaction.  We find this in the context of our faith connection with God.  If we will truly trust in Him, come to Him expecting direction and go for Him, following that direction, then we please God before we please ourselves.  And His promise is for His reward.  I think this is one of the keys of life: whom do we seek to please!

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment