Saturday, August 10, 2013

light in darkness

I decided to listen to the Psalms as I exercised this morning.  Over the half hour on the elliptical machine I listened to Psalms 1 through Psalm 23.  One theme that seemed to emerge was: "guidance for living in light while surrounded by darkness".  Many Christians are deeply troubled about the spiritual and moral darkness that seems to be growing in our country.  They wonder about what they should do...what they can do to make a difference.  How can we live in the light when we are surrounded by darkness.  I decided to take a few daily "thoughts" to consider this.   

Make God your portion.  The world has always offered a banquet of choices when it comes to feeding our thoughts, our desires, our ambitions.  We can either purpose to satisfy those inner appetites with God or with the world's menu.  The challenge of choosing God is that (a) He is invisible and we find Him in the inner places of seeking, listening and following.  The world's choices lay out in the open and assault our senses continually. and (b) the satisfactions of choosing God may not be as immediate, while they are more lasting.  In fact the greatest outcome of walking with God and delighting in Him is found after life on the planet is over for us!  In a sense we are challenged to choose a greater satisfaction and sacrifice immediate satisfactions that may not truly satisfy.  I am convinced that if we make God our portion.  If we feed from His thoughts and His words.  If we cultivate our personal communication with Him and grow in our trust in Him.  If we experience the inner joy and peace and contentment that He provides.....we begin to impact the darkness with an attractive inner light.  When those who walk in darkness turn to the light then the shadows begin to recede.

Here are a few representative passages:

Psalm 23:
You prepare a feast for me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
    My cup overflows with blessings.

Psalm 18:20 
The Lord rewarded me for doing right;
    he restored me because of my innocence.
21 For I have kept the ways of the Lord;
    I have not turned from my God to follow evil.
22 I have followed all his regulations;
    I have never abandoned his decrees.
23 I am blameless before God;
    I have kept myself from sin.
24 The Lord rewarded me for doing right.
    He has seen my innocence.
25 To the faithful you show yourself faithful;
    to those with integrity you show integrity.

blessings as you make the Lord your portion,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment