Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Cup half full or half empty

These days it's common to characterize people as optimists by saying their cup is "half full" and pessimists by saying their cup is "half empty".  I guess, in weather terms, it would be the difference between "partly sunny" or "partly cloudy".  We know that we live in a fallen world, where the presence and the consequences of sin are glaringly apparent.  We may have cell phones, wireless internet, and hybrid cars but we also have a huge divorce problem, unborn babies who are treated as an inconvenience rather than a life, and greed that shows up from Main Stree to Wall Street.  Isn't it wonderful that there is a spiritual avenue we can walk down that doesn't find its ultimate satisfaction in technology or modern advances and that doesn't rely on the innate goodness of man?  When the focus of our heart and mind is the Lord, we find freedom from shallow satisfaction and deliverance from sin.  We discover a path where our cup is neither half full, nor half empty.  We find that our cup runneth over.
 
Psalm 23
 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 

blessings,

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment