Monday, February 19, 2007

Learning to eat salad

I'm at the age where I'm supposed to eat more salad. With every rational element of my brain I know that eating more salad is the right thing to do. I need the antioxidants and vitamins in the little tomatoes and broccoli and I need to feel like I'm full without actually filling up on a lot of carbohydrates and fats. A few weeks ago I resolved to eat salad at lunch instead of a sandwich or hamburger. I actually did eat salad for a few days. But something happens when I pull into the drive-through at Wendy's and I approach the big sign where you have to come to a decision. I'm not sure if it's a case of multiple personalities, hearing other voices, or demons sitting on my shoulder and bringing the flavor of a juicy burger into my brain.....but, most of the time I cave in and get the hamburger. Isn't it strange that we can know what we should do and yet find it so hard to actually do it! I think it has everything to do with the dark side of my nature. Sometimes it feels the same way when I think about reading the Bible (when I could do almost anything else, like watch sports). The thing is, that I know from experience if I can hang in there long enough and choose the salad for something like a full week my tastes and preferences will change and I won't face the battle of the big sign at Wendy's. I think our taste for the Lord can be cultivated in a similar way. If I'll just give Him a chance...choose Him to listen to and talk to when I can choose other activites, I'll want to be with Him whenever I can.

John 6:35,36 Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe.

John 6:68,69 Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

blessings,

Rob Smith
http://2daysthought.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment