Monday, May 18, 2009

a friend

The word friend comes from an old English word, freogan which was a verb meaning "to love, to favor".  This morning I was considering the mystery of friendship.  We are aware of the wonder of marriage and the mystery of two becoming one, but it occurred to me that true friendship is also a special relationship.  Although we may be kind (or 'friendly') to many people and although we may be neighbors to folks around us and although we may rub shoulders with people that we are comfortable with on a daily basis, there is a special relationship with some that we call friends.  I think that a true friend is a gift.  There seems to be a need to have a deeper kind of relationship (apart from marriage) where we can be vulnerable, share needs and problems, and explore truth.  I believe that this should generally be a same-gender relationship that doesn't conflict with marriage.  Men need to help men with life from a male perspective and women need to help women with life from a female perspective.  In my life, at different ages, there have been a few people that I believe the Lord has brought into my path who have become my friend.  I located my best friend when I was 7 years old over the internet recently.  Although we moved away from that neighborhood and I didn't have a relationship with him I still cherish the memory of our friendship and I believe that if we have a chance to visit, the friendship will be rekindled.  I'm especially touched that the Lord called His disciples friends and I believe that we all have access to this special dimension of relationship with Him, as well.
 
Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times,
      And a brother is born for adversity.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment