Monday, May 11, 2009

a shepherd's God

It's another Monday, the start of a work week.  Soon I'll be heading in to the job.  Thoughts of action items and tasks began to enter my thoughts as I headed out for a walk with the Lord this morning.  But the peacefulness of the mild new day and the loveliness of spring soon drew my focus upward.  "Why is it", I thought, "that I compartmentalize my relationship with you, Lord"?  "I have concentrated times of listening to you and worshiping you and then I have concentrated periods of time where I'm listening almost exclusively to myself and there is little worship in my attitude."  And then, as I strolled, an exciting thought came.  What if God were to show up even in the details of my day...in the specific tasks and worries that were going to pop up?  Of course he'll show up, if I let Him.  I reflected on David as a young shepherd.  He had awesome responsibilities because he was guarding the family fortune.  As he tended the sheep he faced unpredictable challenges from within and without the flock.  Sheep could wander off and lions could attack.  He had found the Lord would show up as he was on the job and give him strength, courage and ability to cope even with  very scary problems like these.  The exciting aspect of this thought was that, as I face the daily challenges of my work day, I can expect the Lord to show up in thoughts, energy and real solutions.  Really, I can team up with Him and as the day progresses my relationship with the Lord can be integrated with my life, in very practical ways.  Now I'm eager to head in and see how He'll come alongside this morning!
 
1 Samuel 17: 34 But David said to Saul, "Your servant has been keeping his father's sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, 35 I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it. 36 Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment