Wednesday, May 6, 2009

with one voice

Last Sunday, as I enjoyed the choir's beautiful anthem, I scanned the faces of the choir members and thought about the diversity and unity of their sound.  There was a wide range of ages among the singers, from late teens to late in life.  From youngest to oldest there probably was an age range of over 50 years.  I thought about the blessing our voice is and how one who is young can sing alongside a senior saint and match the qualities of pitch and volume.  Singing is a "total" experience.  It calls for an exercise of mind, body, heart and soul for the choir to produce the integrated sound that leads us in worship.  In that respect, I think, music can be a direct reflection of the Lord's instruction from Mark, chapter 12, verse 30: And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.'This is the first commandment.  I also thought about the distinctiveness of our voices.  A college roommate called, whom I hadn't talked to in years.  Before he could identify himself, and after he'd spoken only two or three words, I instantly recognized him.  His voice hasn't changed substantially in 35 years.  I thought about how our voice represents the uniqueness of our individual lives.  As we have come to know Jesus as our Savior and Lord we have also come to recognize His voice, as well: John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.  Regardless of our age, our unique identity is secure in Him and our capacity to join in praise of Him is only enhanced as our voices are blended in sincere worship.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment