Sunday, November 24, 2013

Rescue!

The other day I was listening to Psalm 119. It's a really long psalm with 176 verses. Every verse makes some kind of reference to God's Words...his commands...his law...his instructions...his promises. One word that stood out from the New Living Translation that I was hearing was: "rescue". Dictionary.com defines "rescue" as: 'to free or deliver from confinement, violence, danger, or evil.'
-
Psalm 119:123 My eyes strain to see your rescue, to see the truth of your promise fulfilled.
-
Here is one of those verses. It occurs that a rescue is needed because help is needed that is beyond the capability of the individual in need. But, before a rescue can be found it is necessary that one realizes a rescue is needed. It seems that many people are cruising through life with no apparent awareness of need for a rescue. They seem to be doing just fine...at least in their own eyes. So, perhaps the first need is for people to realize their need.
-
155 The wicked are far from rescue,
for they do not bother with your decrees.
-
Some of the other references to 'rescue' from Psalm 119 shine a little more light.
-
81 I am worn out waiting for your rescue,
but I have put my hope in your word.
-
The rescue calls for endurance.
-
94 I am yours; rescue me!
For I have worked hard at obeying your commandments.
-
The rescue marks our identity with the Lord.
-
117 Sustain me, and I will be rescued;
then I will meditate continually on your decrees.
-
Our attitude is right when our motivation for rescue is to draw even nearer to Him.
-
Blessings to all who have been rescued and who have seen their need for rescue and for those who are yet to even realize the rescue is essential!
-
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment