Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Running

So I have been getting back into running over the past few months, but at 61 I have to admit that it must be characterized now as "jogging" because the pace is so slow. I have gotten the distance up to 7 miles (once a week and maybe one other 3 mile jog per week) but it takes me almost an hour and a half to go 7 miles! I am finding that moving my arms and shoulders back and forth for that long is as difficult as keeping the legs and lungs going. But there is great joy personally in the freedom of running for me. So I thought I'd look up a few scriptural references on running to explore the connection with spiritual health:
Job 9:25a 25 "My life passes more swiftly than a runner."
-
We think of ourselves running through life and running through our days. Another way of looking at it is that life and time are running and carrying us toward eternity.
-
Psalm 143:9 Rescue me from my enemies, Lord; I run to you to hide me.
It is good to know where to run when trouble seems to come after us!
-
Proverbs 4:12 When you walk, you won't be held back; when you run, you won't stumble.
-
Proverbs is talking about listening to the wisdom of God and the result of walking and even running in truth and clear direction.
-
Proverbs 28:1 The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions.
-
The Lord can help us stand, and not run, when we need courage!
-
1 Corinthians 9:24 Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.
-
Life is to be lived with focus on an ultimate objective and life is to be run, as in a race, to win that objective. Just as running is a discipline and not altogether pleasant, so life can be that way. But the objective of knowing and experiencing a close walk with the Lord and sharing His Gospel is a worthy prize for us to pursue!
--
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment