Monday, September 29, 2008

turned upside down

NEW YORK (Reuters) - David Blaine's "Dive of Death" wasn't, after all -- the magician and showman ended up alive on Wednesday night following his 60-hour stunt of hanging upside down in Central Park. Blaine, 35, had dangled from a cable attached to a large scaffold structure built high over the park's Wollman Rink since Monday, except for regular breaks for water and medical checks during which he was upright for periods of a few to several minutes each.
 
It's remarkable how captivated we are by stunts that challenge perfectly healthy lifestyles.  The dramatic performer, David Blaine, has buried himself underground, inserted himself in a block of ice and stood 90 feet in the air on a 2 foot wide platform for days to entertain and amaze.  But his most recent display of hanging upside down for 2 1/2 days really spoke to me.  I suppose the premise was that living upside down over an extended time was a death defying escapade.  However, I think that most of us pull off a similar feat for much longer periods.  Rather than live "right side up" we often prefer to allow the lower side of our fallen nature to dominate and cause us to walk through our days upside down.  The results are all around as we note countless failed marriages where individuals put self above family, failed businesses where owners put greed above honesty, failed individual lives that place the pleasing of unhealthy desires above self discipline.  It seems that "living upside down" is more of a normal occurrence in human life than a rare one.  Perhaps that's because too few of us are looking up and too many are looking down.
 
Romans 7:23-25 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.  O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!  So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment