Thursday, June 24, 2010

essentially spiritual

As I spent time this morning at the placid water's edge of my favorite pond, and worked through the 176 verses of Psalm 119, I reflected on the reality of God and the relationship I have with Him.  As the writer of Psalm 119 states over and over, we find peace, meaning, truth, refuge, purpose, wisdom and all the answers we need in God's Word.  Upon leaving the pond and heading home I reflected on this and realized that we are essentially spiritual beings.  We spend a lot of time, worry and energy on the dimensions of living that we think matter and we often neglect to serve our greatest need.  I thought about Maslow's Hierarchy of Need...the familiar psychological theory that states the progression of needs man must satisfy from basic survival to self actualization.  I think he left out "spiritual fulfillment" and that is probably our greatest need.  It is the inner person...the eternal person...the deepest heart and the innermost recess of the mind...the part of us that is most human and most in touch with God.  We may be unhappy at times because we have neglected that part of our identity that is most important.  I think that the good news here is that we can often be restored by returning our focus to Him, waiting quietly in His presence, immersing in His word, allowing His company to not only provide the answers...but to be the answer.  For we are essentially spiritual and we were made in His image.
 
Psalm 119:14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
         As much as in all riches.
 15 I will meditate on Your precepts,
         And contemplate Your ways.
 16 I will delight myself in Your statutes;
         I will not forget Your word.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment