Wednesday, July 23, 2008

anticipation

Mark 13:32-33 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.  Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is."

 

A few weeks ago I bid for a car on EBAY.  Surprisingly, my bid was accepted.  After sending the money and communicating with the dealership, far away in Texas, I began to wait eagerly for the car.  This was my "dream car"...a small open air roadster that would finally give me an alternative to the minivan.  Then I received a call that the car had been picked up by the delivery truck and sometime in the following week it should arrive.  I asked how I'd know when the car would show up and I was told that I'd get a call when the driver was in the vicinity.  I was partially nervous and partially excited as each day passed and when the call finally came that the driver was in Roanoke and on the way...it felt like it was the night before Christmas and I was 8 years old again. 

I think the Lord wants us to wait expectantly for Jesus' return in much the same way.  That's why He doesn't tell anyone, not even the angels or His Son, when that will be.  We are all to share in the anticipation and excitement of the completion of His Kingdom.  In a sense, we are all equally close to Jesus' return because no one knows when it might happen.  We are to live as if He will break into our lives...we are to live in an anticipation of His return.  With that mindset, we are more likely to live thinking about Him and living in a way that pleases Him.

He might come back today!

 

blessings,

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment