Thursday, July 24, 2008

Circumstantial Evidence

You have probably watched as many courtroom dramas as I have on TV and the movies.  So often the outcome of the story turns on the verdict of a jury.  The decision of the jury hinges on the evidence and presentation by counsel and prosecution.  This morning, as I looked over a pond near my home, I felt the strong circumstantial evidence that God is real!  As a few drops of last nights shower fell from the tree leaves onto my head and a blue sky heralded a new day, I heard an owl hooting overhead (though I couldn't see him).  A lovely mist wafted over the pond's surface due to temperature differences between air and water.  I was surrounded by things made but not by human hands: pine trees, various kinds of birds, squirrels and rabbits.  I was overwhelmed with the truth that God is not hard to find:  He's obvious!  We are the ones who are hard to find.  We are the ones in denial.  We are the ones who have determined to live apart from Him, not He from us.  The verdict is in...yes we're guilty...but the verdict also is that He is real, He is present, and He has paid the price for our guilt.  (He is the judge, the jury, the law, the sentence, and He took our punishment too!)

 

Proverbs 3:19-20 The LORD by wisdom founded the earth;
      By understanding He established the heavens; 
       By His knowledge the depths were broken up,
      And clouds drop down the dew.

 

blessings,

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment