Wednesday, July 16, 2008

wakeup call

This morning I awoke easily after a good night of sleep.  I wondered, "What caused me to wakeup at that particular moment?"  Obviously our body has a natural need to sleep and a need to awake...but what specifically triggers the dramatic change from sleep, where we are out of touch with our world, to wakefulness?  A little online research suggests that our bodies respond to light. There is a part of the brain called the Suprachiasmatic Nucleus (SCN), a group of cells in the hypothalamus that respond to light and dark signals. From the optic nerve of the eye, light travels to the SCN, signaling the internal clock that it is time to be awake. The SCN signals to other parts of the brain that control hormones, body temperature and other functions that play a role in making us feel sleepy or awake.* (from sleepfoundation.org)  I have also wondered what specifically triggers one to become alive in Jesus.  What specifically triggers the dramatic change from sleep, where we are out of touch with our Lord, to wakefulness in Him. 

 

Once again I think the answer lies in our reaction to light...the light of Heaven!

 

John 8:12 Jesus once again addressed them: "I am the world's Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in."  

 

blessings,

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment