Monday, February 24, 2020

trials and purpose

James 1:12 "Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him."
-
Last night Shirley, my Mom and I attended a special service at Mom's church.  It was entirely musical and celebrated the "Spirituals" that were sung by slaves.  We were so moved with each song and, having reflected on the music, it occurred that the extreme hardship of slave life had produced sweet relationships with the Savior.
-
Great trials reduce life to its bare essentials and intensify the awareness of our limitations and of God's limitless love.
-
The spirituals sang of the struggles of this life and looked forward to freedom from those struggles in Heaven.  In each song you felt the earnest and sincere cry of the heart for the deliverance from suffering and warmth of intimate fellowship with the living God.
-
And when the choir sang these lyrics our eyes became moist, as we were reminded of the most important thing of all:
-
Give Me Jesus
In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus
And when I am alone
Oh, and when I am alone
And when I am alone, give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus
-
And, surely, when we have Jesus the trials of this life, though absolutely real, melt away with the awareness that He went through the greatest trial for us and absolutely identifies and embraces us in the midst of ours.
-
blessings,
Rob Smith








-------------------------------------------
"Death is inevitable.  Life is a choice!"

John 11:25
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live."


No comments:

Post a Comment